Pimm's Cup with a gingery twist & Merry Christmas!!


I've never really celebrated Christmas with my family. I do remember having a Christmas tree when I was very young but the memories of celebrations are a blur. Even if we celebrated, I'm sure it was Chinese style instead of the usual Christmas fare.


After my parents became busy with work, mum gave all our Christmas decorations, including the tree, away to relatives. As we were rarely in Australia during this festival season, the tree wasn't even missed. Now I'm all grown up and I look back at the blurred memories of Christmas and felt just that tiny bit sad.


I spent last Christmas in Melbourne and wanted to go out for a drink and snacks with Yuye on Christmas Eve, but realised that nothing was open! I should have been smarter and thought ahead, who in their right mind would be opening their shop when they could be spending time with their families? We drove all the way to the CBD and then to Prahran, and finally found Basque Tapas and Wine.


Even with such an experience, I still want to try tonight as staying home when no celebrations are on just seems so lonely. I hope I find some nice places tonight. :D


To suddenly celebrate Christmas this year when we never did is a bit hard to achieve, but I felt I wanted to make this year a little more special. Although I didn't really cook up a storm or anything, I did mix up these cocktails for a little adult indulgence and add a little Christmas cheer and colour to our lives. It was especially good in this 30 something degree heat!


Instead of baking ginger bread (as I don't really like ginger bread much), I thought adding ginger beer or ginger ale instead of lemonade into the drink would make it even more Christmassy.


Pimm's Cup with a gingery twist
Serves 2

Ingredients

2 wedges of lemon
2 slices apple
4 slices cucumber
4 blueberries
1/2 strawberry
Handful of mint leaves
1 part Pimm's to 2 parts ginger beer
Ice cubes


Technique:

1. Assemble 1/4 strawberry, 1 apple slice, 1 wedge lemon and 2 slices cucumber in a cocktail glass.

2. Pierce 2 blueberries with a toothpick and place inside glass, leaving a gap between the blueberries so it can lean on the side of the glass without falling into the drink.

3. Top glass with ice cubes.

4. Pour in ginger beer and Pimms and top with mint leaves.

5. Repeat steps for second glass.


Note: I didn't specify the amount of Pimms and ginger beer as the amount depends on the size of the glass. If you want to drink a slightly more alcoholic beverage, just add more Pimms and vice versa. I used the above fruits because that's what I had around the house, feel free to put in any citrus or refreshing fruits that you have lying around.

Merry Christmas everyone and hope you're having a great time filled with lovely food and good company!

xxoo
Jenny


Did you enjoy this post? If so, why not share it with your friends?

Share |

10 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas Jenny! I love the look of your drink. Very special and Christmasy. I do hope you enjoy better celebrations this year than you have in the past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Hotly Spiced, Merry Christmas to you too and thank you for your comment. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, thanks for stopping by, This looks like a lovely festive cocktail. Love the candy cane heart :) I hope you have a good celebration whatever you decide to do. Merry Christmas! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice blog, I hope you are enjoying the holidays. Love the photos! Merry Christmas.

    Visit my blog when you get a chance ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Baking Addict, thanks for your comment and hope you're having a great holiday too!

    @just tututiny, thanks for visiting my blog. :) Merry Christmas to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice! :) Think its time i stocked up on the Pimms hehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow your cocktails look so vibrant! Merry Christmas, Jenny! I hope you're having a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Daisy, I love Pimm's. I can't really drink much alcohol but I can drink a fair bit of Pimm's :D

    @Choux-Fleur, Merry Christmas to you too! Hope you had a good day, now for some Boxing Day shopping. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. now these are shots i can get behind, i like the table composition in the second shot, good stuff

    ReplyDelete
  10. @batasan, thanks :P I got so frustrated when I took these though. Yuye's back room was over 30 degrees and I was sweating like a pig. lol

    ReplyDelete